Learning How to Use Legacy
We provide many tools to help people learn how to use the Legacy program. Learning the many things that Legacy can do and how to do them will make your experience with the program much more productive and enjoyable.
There are step-by-step instructions to help you complete your tasks; tutorial lessons and examples; and an extensive Help system built right into the Legacy program. In addition, there are Tips and Tricks listed at our Web site; video demonstrations; Legacy Users Groups where you can ask "How to" questions of other users; as well as a 336-page User's Guide and Video training CDs that you can buy.
• Step-by-step Instructions: You can reach the step-by-step instructions in Legacy 7.5 by selecting the Legacy Home tab and clicking on Legacy Help File in the Support box. You can then access the step-by-step instructions by clicking on the green Step-by-step instructions link. Click Here to see the menu of instructions available. Alternately click Help on the menu bar and select Contents on the pulldown menu, which will open the Legacy Help Contents window. Please check the Table of Contents in the Legacy User's Guide for these same topics.
• Tutorial Lessons and Examples: You can reach the mini-tutorials in Legacy 7.5 by selecting the Legacy Home tab and clicking on Legacy Help File in the Support box. You can then access the lessons by clicking on the green Tutorial Lessons and Examples link. These mini-tutorials will help you quickly learn and master the easy-to-use features of Legacy. Click Here to see the menu of lessons and examples available. Alternately You can click on Help on the menu bar and select Contents on the pulldown menu, which will open the Legacy Help Contents window. Please check the Table of Contents in the Legacy User's Guide for these same topics.
• Videos - Training CDs and Free Online Video Demonstrations:
• Video Training CDs. You can view video training in Legacy 6.0 by selecting the Legacy Home tab and clicking Watch Training Videos in the Support box. These are not your normal genealogy training CDs! Professional genealogist Geoffrey D. Rasmussen, uses his expertise in genealogy and technology to help you master Legacy and solidify your research foundation Not only will you learn HOW to master Legacy, but you'll learn genealogy PRINCIPLES. Available from the Legacy Online Store. Click Here for more information.
• Legacy for Beginners. This free 52-minute tutorial walks the beginning Legacy user through the basics of the program. You can watch on the Legacy Home tab in Legacy 7.5 (see above) or view it online now free or on the Legacy installation CD. Topics include:
· Import a GEDCOM
· Data entry rules
· Adding family members
· AKAs and addresses
· To Do List
· Research Guidance
• What's New in Legacy 7.5. Learn about the exciting, new features in Legacy 7.5 in this introductory video. You can watch on the Legacy Home tab in Legacy 7.5 (see above) or view it online now free. Topics include:
· Research Guidance
· Legacy Home
· Publishing Center
· Note Formatting
· US County Verification
• Index View - Using and Seeing More Information. Learn how to customize Legacy to see the most data in this preview from the Insider's Guide to Legacy: Tips & Tricks video training CD. You can view this demonstration online free.
• Family View Labels - Change What's Displayed. Learn how to customize Family View labels in Legacy. You can view this demonstration online free.
• Master Lists Clean Up. Learn how to clean up Master Lists in Legacy in this preview from the Your 12-Step Checklist to Using Legacy video training CD. You can view this demonstration online free.
• Radius Searches. Learn how to do Radius Searches in Legacy in this preview from the Insider's Guide to Legacy: Tips & Tricks video training CD. You can view this demonstration online free.
• Research Guidance Overview. Learn how Legacy's Research Guidance Center works in this overview, You can view this demonstration online free.
• Source Clipboard. Learn how to use the Source Clipboard in Legacy in this preview from the Legacy's Ultimate Guide to Sources video training CD. You can view this demonstration online free.
• Tagging Basics and Advanced Tagging. Learn how to use Tagging in this preview from the Tagging and Searching Made Easy video training CD. You can view this demonstration online free.
• Printed User's Guide: Become an expert Legacy user with this authoritative, printed User's Guide. Includes over 36 lessons and tutorials plus plenty of pictures pictures to unleash the power of Legacy! Available from the Legacy Online Store.
• Soft cover
• Easy-to-read font
• 400 pages
• Fully illustrated
• Also available in PDF format.
• Many tips, tricks, and articles have been published concerning Legacy in national magazines as well as in our newsletters. Please click here to view the most up-to-date list at our Web site. You can also reach Tips and Tricks about using Legacy by clicking on Help and selecting Contents on the pulldown menu, which will open the Legacy Help Contents window. Next click on the green Tips and Tricks link.
• Help - Four Ways to Find the Answers to Your Questions:
Often, the information you are seeking is available in Legacy's on-line User's Guide (the Help file). When you run into a problem, or have a question while using Legacy, click the Help button or press F1 on your keyboard. The help system is context-sensitive and tries to answer questions about the current task or screen that you are in.
The Legacy Help file now has a new topic called "New Features Not in the Manual." This contains a summary of all the new things that have been added to Legacy since the manual was printed. You should refer to this topic each time a new update is posted on our web site. You can find the top from the Contents page of the Help file under the Overview heading. (If this section does not appear in Help, please update your Legacy program.)
Legacy Help Contents: Click on Help on the menu bar and select Contents from the pulldown menu to open the Legacy Help Contents window. By clicking the icons, the icons and the green links you can browse to the Help pages with the topics of interest to you. Please notice the three navigation buttons at the top of each screen. The Back button will jump you back to the page you came from. The << and >> buttons will move you move you back or ahead through Help one page at a time.
Help Index: To reach the Index click the Help Topics button at the top of the screen to open the Help Topics dialog box. Alternately click on Help on the menu bar and select Search for Help On from the pulldown menu. In the Help Topics / Index tab type the first few letters of the word you are looking for. This will jump you to the into the Index to the area you want . Next click the index entry you want and then click Display. Note, this index corresponds to the index in the printed User's Guide and does not contain every word listed in the Help file.
If you don't find the find the topic you want, click on the Find tab in the Help Topics dialog box. Find enables you to search for any specific word or phrase in Help topics, instead of search for information only by index entry. Before you can use find, Windows must first create a list (or database), which contains every word from the Help file. Once the list is completed, type the word(s) you want, next select some matching words to narrow your search, and then click the index entry you want and then click Display.
• LegacyUserGroup Mailing List: LegacyUserGroup is a mailing list for all of Legacy Family Tree users to share ideas and to help each other. Once you have subscribed to this mailing list you will be able to send a PLAIN TEXT message to the list by sending an email message to LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com. The message will be sent to everyone subscribed to the mailing list so please try to be clear with your questions and please, only submit messages relating to Legacy. The LegacyUserGroup mailing list, which is administered by Millennia Corporation, should not be confused with locally organized groups described below. Click Here to sign up for the Legacy User Group mailing list.
• Legacy Users Groups: This groups can vary from email or telephone contact lists to organizations that meet regularly to conduct workshops, provide informative speakers, discuss problems and share solutions. Each Legacy Users Group determines its particular structure, goals, and officers. Although Millennia Corporation does not sponsor or direct Legacy Users Groups, it does help interested persons make contact with groups or others who may want to form a group. Legacy Users Groups are run by volunteers and have no affiliation to Millennia Corporation and should not be confused with the mailing list described above. Click Here for a list of groups.