What it Shows
The Name List displays a list of individuals. It can either contain all the individuals in the entire Family File or just a search subset. The grid has six columns, the RIN number, the individual's full name, their sex and three tag setting columns. The area to the right of the grid contains six or eight tabs of information about the highlighted individual. These include:
• Detail This area shows detailed information about the highlighted individual in the list. It also shows a three-generation pedigree chart at the bottom. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• Edit On this tab you can add or edit the individual's personal information. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• Events From here you can add or edit events for the current person. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• Notes General, Research and Medical notes can be added or edited on this tab. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• Family This tab shows the parents, siblings, spouses and children for the highlighted person. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• Sources You can add source documentation or edit existing sources here. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• LDS This tab lets you keep track of the LDS ordinance information. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
• Temple This is where you can pre-qualify and submit ordinances for temple work. (click here for a complete description of this tab)
Sorting the List
The Name List can be displayed in either Surname/Given Name order, Given Name/Surname order or by RIN numbers. Press the #, First or Last button at the top of the window, or click in the text box to the right of each button.
Finding an Individual
If the list is long, you can search for an individual in the list by typing their name, starting with the given names or surname or by entering their RIN number. As you type, Legacy automatically jumps to the nearest matching name in the list.
Jumping Into the List
You can jump to the first name beginning with any letter by pressing the letter buttons above the grid. You can also jump to the beginning or end of the list by pressing the First and Last buttons.
Selecting an Individual
To select an individual from the list, highlight the name and press the Select button, or double-click the name in the grid.
Pressing the Sources button displays the Assigned Sources window. (See Citing the Sources of Your Information for more details on using this form.)
Pressing the Options button brings up a sub-menu with the following:
• Edit Individual Brings up the Information window for the currently highlighted person. (See Information Screen for detailed information.)
• Delete Individual Select this option to delete the current individual from the family file. Before the person is actually removed, a Delete window appears showing any parents, siblings, spouses and children that are currently link to the individual. This is to insure that you know what you are doing. If you really do want to delete the person, press Yes. If you have changed your mind and want to back out, press Cancel.
• Advanced Deleting This lets you delete groups of people with a certain tag number or those contained in the current Search List. (See Advanced Deleting for more information.)
• Advanced Tagging You can tag or untag any of the three of the nine tag levels displayed for an individual by double-clicking the appropriate tag column to the right of each name in the list. Legacy also offers some advanced options for tagging records: (See Advanced Tagging for more information.)
• Show Search List This option causes the Name List to display the contents of the last search list. (See How to Search for Individuals for more information.)
• Show All Tagged You can choose to limit the Name List contents to just those individuals who are tagged on a certain tag number. Choose 1, 2 or 3, etc.
• Show All Untagged You can also display only individuals who are untagged on a certain tag number. Again, choose 1, 2 or 3, etc.
• Set Bookmark Sets a bookmark on the currently highlighted person.
• Go to Bookmark Pops up a list of all the people you have bookmarks set on. Highlight the person you want to jump to and press Go To.
• Zoom You can increase or decrease the type size on the Name List, Tab List or Notes. Larger font sizes are easier to read. Smaller sizes display more information.
This option displays the Search window where you can search for whatever you desire. (See Searching for more information.)
Printing the Name List Report
You can print a report containing the list of individuals in the grid by pressing the Print... button. The List Report Options window appears where you can select the information you want to include on your report. (See List Reports for more information.)