• Error 400- Form already displayed; can't show modally
If you get an Error 400 message then follow these instructions.
Find the file called vsocx6.ocx in your C:\Windows\System 32 folder and right click on it and select Properties. Then check out which version you have. You need to use the one from the link below and make sure it's in the folder. Version 22.214.171.124 is the correct one. The newer one has a bug in it that we cannot work around.
The newer 126.96.36.199 version of VSOCX6.ocx has a bug with it that we have reported and yet
the developer has not fixed the control. We don't think there will be any more updates to the control so we have to live with and work with what we have.
1. Please download the vsocx6.ocx.zip from http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/download/controls/vsocx6.zip and save it in the Legacy folder on your hard drive.
2. Windows XP users can simply double click on vsocx6.ocx.zip to extract VSOCX6.ocx (version 188.8.131.52) and the accompanying legacy.exe.local file to the Legacy folder on your hard drive. Select Extract all Files and use the Extract Wizard to extract the files to C:\Legacy (or other location if you installed Legacy elsewhere). NOTE: This solution does not work with Windows Vista computers.
3. If you don't have Windows XP, you can extract these files with WinZip, which is available free at WinZip.com.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If the above steps don't work, please try the following:
1. Please download the msvbvm60.dll file from
and save it in the C:\Legacy folder on your hard drive.
2. Next delete the user customization files (all files with a .USR extensions) from the C:\Legacy folder on your hard drive.
3. Please download and install the most recent update file to your Legacy program. Please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadUpdate.asp and follow the directions on the screens to run/open this file from its current location.
After completing these steps please reboot (restart) your computer and try Legacy again.