• Runtime Error 53: file not found
Runtime error 53 means a file that Legacy needs for connecting to the Internet is missing or unavailable.
[Back to Top]
1. If you have Windows Vista, make sure that Legacy is installed to the C:\Legacy folder and that you have Legacy Family Tree 7.5 or the final release of Legacy Family Tree 6.0 installed. For more information please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/helpWindows87andVista.asp.
2. Use the Disk Cleanup utility to clean your system of files that can clutter your hard drive and degrade system performance (click on Start and then open your Programs list and select Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup). Make certain that you check mark Temporary Internet Files in the cleanup tasks.
3. Next, reinstall Legacy from the Web with all Internet security programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware, firewalls) temporarily disabled (don't uninstall, just run the installation again). This is important because some overly aggressive programs can block Legacy or remove files that it needs for Internet connections. To reinstall Legacy Family Tree 7.5, please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadLegacy.asp. To reinstall version 6 or earlier, please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/helpDownloadVersion6.asp.
4. Customize your Legacy program to always use Internet Explorer or other preferred Web browser. The Customize screen is reached by choosing Customize from the Options menu. Next click the Launch tab. In the Customize - Launch screen set the Alternate Web Browser by clicking the Change button and specify the drive and path to the web browser you would like to use. (For example, Internet Explorer may be located at: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe)
5. Next click the Locations tab in the Customize screen. In the Customize - Locations screen and then click the Reset button for the 'Location of temporary files.'
6. Save your changes by clicking on the Save button in the lower left corner of the screen.