• Legacy locks up or freezes
Make certain that that other programs are not running and that your computer meets minimum system requirements:
The minimum 256 MB for memory (RAM) is important. One indication of low memory problems is that Legacy runs fine for a time, but after a while locks up. Often all you need to do in this situation is restart your computer. Please consider a memory upgrade for your computer.
If Legacy freezes:
1. If Legacy freezes when trying to open it, please delete from the Legacy folder on your hard drive all of the USR files (files ending with .usr). These files contain user settings to customized background colors, screen fonts, window sizes, startup family, report settings, as well as file locations, etc. There is no family data in any of these files, so deleting them does not delete your data. Upon start up, Legacy will recreate the files to their default settings.
2. If Legacy freezes or locks up when you are working in the program (this may happen only in certain screens) then exit Legacy and restart it.
3. Click on Options on the menu bar and select Customize. In the Customize screen click the Reset to Defaults button at the bottom of the screen and then click Save.
4. Please update your Legacy program as this will often repair this error. Legacy 8.0 users please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadUpdate.asp. Legacy 5.0 and earlier users please visit http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/helpDownloadVersion6.asp.
5. Run File Maintenance > Check/Repair to fix problems in the family file. There may be some problems that need to be manually corrected. Check/Repair will also "compact" your family file by recovering space in the database and reducing the file size which will make updates, queries and deletes faster.
When the program freezes and won't shut down normally:
If you still experience problems, completely uninstall Legacy. Before you start, make sure you have your Legacy Deluxe Edition Customer ID Number because you will need it for the last step. You can find it in Legacy by clicking on Help then About and selecting General Information. Your Customer ID will appear in the Family File Information screen on the right end of the line below where your name appears. Please write it down.