Details about the Name List
The Name List is list of individuals with tabs that allow you to find and edit an individuals records. It can either contain all the individuals in the entire Family File or just a search subset. The grid has six columns, the RIN number, the individual's full name, their sex and three tag setting columns. The area to the right of the grid contains six or eight tabs of information about the highlighted individual. These include:
This area shows detailed information about the highlighted individual in the list. It also shows a three-generation pedigree chart and picture button at the bottom. Click Here for more information on the Detail tab.
The Edit area can be used to add or edit information on the currently highlighted person in the Name List. Just type in the information.
From here you can add or edit events for the current person.
General, Research and Medical notes can be added or edited on this tab.
This tab shows the parents, siblings, spouses and children for the highlighted person.
You can add source documentation or edit existing sources here.
If you customized Legacy to display LDS information, this tab lets you keep track of the LDS ordinance information.
If you customized Legacy to display LDS information, this is where you can pre-qualify and submit ordinances for temple work.
Sorting the List
The Name List can be displayed in either Surname/Given Name order, Given Name/Surname order or by RIN numbers. Press the #, First or Last button at the top of the window, or click in the text box to the right of each button.
Finding an Individual
If the list is long, you can search for an individual in the list by typing their name, starting with the given names or surname or by entering their RIN number. As you type, Legacy automatically jumps to the nearest matching name in the list.
Jumping Into the List
You can jump to the first name beginning with any letter by pressing the letter buttons above the grid. You can also jump to the beginning or end of the list by pressing the First and Last buttons.
Selecting an Individual
To select an individual from the list, highlight the name and press the Select button, or double-click the name in the grid.
Pressing the Sources button displays the Assigned Sources window.
Pressing the Options button brings up a sub-menu with the following:
- Edit Individual Brings up the Information window for the currently highlighted person.
- Delete Individual Select this option to delete the current individual from the family file. Before the person is actually removed, a Delete window appears showing any parents, siblings, spouses and children that are currently link to the individual. This is to insure that you know what you are doing. If you really do want to delete the person, press Yes. If you have changed your mind and want to back out, press Cancel.
- Advanced Deleting This lets you delete groups of people with a certain tag number or those contained in the current Search List.
- Advanced Tagging
You can tag or untag any of the
nine tag levels for an individual by double-clicking the appropriate tag column to the right of each name in the list. Legacy also offers some advanced options for tagging records:
- Show Search List This option causes the Name List to display the contents of the last search list.
- Show All Tagged You can choose to limit the Name List contents to just those individuals who are tagged on a certain tag number. Choose a level 1 through 9.
- Show All Untagged You can also display only individuals who are untagged on a certain tag number. Again, choose a level 1 through 9.
- Set Bookmark Sets a bookmark on the currently highlighted person.
- Go to Bookmark Pops up a list of all the people you have bookmarks set on. Highlight the person you want to jump to and press Go To.
- Zoom You can increase or decrease the type size on the Name List, Tab List or Notes. Larger font sizes are easier to read. Smaller sizes display more information.
This option displays the Search window where you can search for whatever you desire.
Printing the Name List Report
You can print a report containing the list of individuals in the grid by pressing the Print... button. The List Report Options window appears where you can select the information you want to include on your report. The information included in the Index Report can be changed by clicking the details buttons on the Detail tab.
You can tag or untag any of the nine tag levels for an individual by double-clicking the appropriate tag column to the right of each name in the list.
Legacy offers some advanced options for tagging records:
Check the Tag or Untag box to indicate the type of operation you want to perform.
Set the Tag Level to change by using the up and down arrows.
- Press Individual to tag or untag the current individual.
- Press Family to tag or untag the current individual, his/her preferred spouse and their children.
- Press Ancestors to tag or untag all the direct-line ancestors of the current individual.
- Press Descendants to tag or untag all the descendants of the current individual.
- Press Everyone in List to tag or untag all the individuals in the grid.