Comments from Legacy Users
- Aside from the fact that Legacy is a terrific program, I
appreciate the responses that I have always received whenever I have had any
questions. Your product and staff are outstanding. Thank you very
- After comparing a LOT of products, your's is a standout
- well done!
- Dear Legacy Customer Service,
Itís not often that I e-mail an organisation's Customer Service dept (unless something has gone wrong), but I feel compelled to e-mail you about Legacy.
Iíve been using Legacy for a few weeks now to keep track of my ancestry, and I am really impressed with the program. Thereís masses of functionality which is relevant to the task in hand, the authors have anticipated the userís needs brilliantly, thereís lots of short cuts, and the whole program is very intuitive. Each day I use Legacy, I find something new. It is almost as though the designers and authors have a genuine love of their program, and have done all they can to make it brilliant.
My only problem is that after paying less than twenty US bucks for it, I feel that I have stolen something! If this was a Microsoft product it would cost a great deal more!
(on the Sunny South Coast of England)
- You really have a fine program. It just isn't the program however. The
training disks are excellent! I have used your product for several years but
just recently got the training disks. I wish a thousand times over that I
had studied the training disks prior to start using Legacy.
My file is large by my standards at 17,000 individuals and while I have used
the source function I have not used it effectively and thus now I am faced
with editing my sources. I have been doing genealogy as a hobby/passion for
35 years. You do a wonderful job not just providing software but training
- I've made the switch! After using Family Tree Maker for three years
along with Brothers Keeper and PAF. I first came across your Comparisons
Page and decided to take a peek. I was quite surprised at the many
differences and seeing things that I had desired for a long time in Legacy,
I immediately downloaded the free version to give it a try and was so hooked
that first night I ordered the Deluxe version within a couple days.
Legacy outperforms the other programs by a landslide. It is by far the best
and most versatile genealogy program I have used! I now have the ability to
do the myriad of things I could not do with the all the other programs put
together. Just wishing I had found Legacy sooner!
And thank you for your suggestion form! It's exceptionally great to know
that you are interested in the user's ideas for what we would like to see in
Thank you again!
- This is the best program I have ever seen. I have been involved in genealogy
for about 5 years and I have been struggling with pen and paper for all of
that time. I downloaded Legacy one night out of interest since it was free
and by the next morning I had purchased the complete program.
It has opened up brand new avenues of investigation and made some
connections I had not noticed before. I have recommended the programme to
every one I have met in the genealogical community. All I can say is WOW
and keep up the hard work.
- I started out several years ago with Brothers Keeper and have since used
PAF, Family Origins, TMG 4.0 and Legacy. I have installed and experimented
with Family Tree Maker, Ancestral Quest, Cumberland Family Tree, and maybe
Legacy by my estimate has the very best combination of features
- Ken, just had to write and tell you a very big thank you! I received the
Legacy 4 deluxe and the manual, and the two videos. Last night I watched the first one. It is worth its weight is gold! I have been using Legacy, beginning with Legacy 2, and for the comparatively small price, I have learned so many things I did not know about the programme. Buttons that I was afraid to click on in case I broke something. It is well done, and very informative.
It is too bad that these videos can not be 'pushed' a bit harder -- they have so many answers that are being asked.
I really congratulate all of you at Millennia for thinking of all the little things that make this the most enjoyable programme to work with, and wish all of you every success in the future. I sing your praises to all those I know that are doing their family search.
Patricia B. of British Columbia
- I have several genealogy programs, each of which I use for different reasons, but no longer. Legacy
4.0 is everything you promised - I have often thought, why doesn't someone come up with a program that "has it
all". Now it has happened - you guys have done it! A wonderful and successful effort. An added bonus - no
heavy hype to buy more products when you use the program, no heavy hype for same on the website - makes
me WANT to explore your other services, which I will. Another plus - I got my manual in the mail within
two days of downloading the program. THIS is customer service!
Thanks for a very fine and useable product and what seems to be a sincere effort to please (and thus keep)
your customers. Don't change!
Gratefully, Carol B.
- Legacy Deluxe is Awesome! I recently began using the Four Color Ancestor Coloring scheme developed by Mary
E. V. Hill, A.G. When I printed out a pedigree chart I was surprised to learn the Legacy Deluxe supports this system. Wow!
I am overwhelmed by all the goodies in the latest edition. It was well worth waiting for. Legacy should be the industry standard by which to measure all other genealogy programs. It is far better than programs costing several times as much.
Thanks to all at Millennia who made this the very best program at any price.
- The new features - and gee, there are a lot of them - are fantastic. The "Ages" view is one I am especially happy to have. I do a lot of writing and the age view and the
Chronology view are great tools. Version 4 is fantastic and a good product. It is a nice piece of
programming and user interfaces. I have now tried all the new options without encountering any problems. This is one program that justifies doing a "happy dance".
- I have now been three times impressed by the Legacy team.
1. A great program.
2. Friendly and prompt phone service when I registered.
3. Fantastic support.
We have used Reunion, Generations Grand Suite, Family Origins 7, and The Master
Genealogist, but in last two days have been amazed by the flexibility and features of
Legacy, as it combines all the best features of the others, plus gives so many more.
Our thanks to all the Legacy team for a job well done
Jenny & Tony Coombes, Sydney, Australia
- I am actually enjoying reading through the Legacy manual I received with
my Legacy 3 (And I usually hate computer manuals.) I wish I had
scanned through it when I first got it. I could have saved much time
in the little efforts I've had time for to this point. It's giving
me the confidence that Legacy is a great program worth learning and that
it's time to really get to work with it.
And, it is interesting to me how many questions I have wondered about or
struggled with or have seen asked on the LegacyUserGroup email list that
are plainly described in the manual....
I recommend scanning through it for those who may be like I was: learning
by discovery (trial and error). It can surely save time and avoid
problems...and, who knows...you just might like it too!
- Dear Ken & gang,
Last spring at the annual genealogy conference in Missoula, MT, I spent a couple of hours
with you learning about Legacy. I had always been a PAF user but you literally
"sold me" on your program! I went home with it and just wanted to let you
know its everything you said AND MORE! Thank you for providing all the updates and
for caring about your program enough to make it the best one out there!...a very happy
- How can I begin to thank you for this incredible software? I'm a newbie at searching for
my family history so I've downloaded every GEDCOM file that I could, never quite knowing
where they'd all fit in. The day I installed Legacy and downloaded those files, they just
found themselves! Amazing program! And the book that came with it should have been
titled "Family History Keeping For Dummies!" I'm definately not a computer whiz
so this is more than I ever dreamed of wanting. I personalized a questionnaire that I'm
sending out to my family that Legacy had supplied for me. Does it get any easier than
this? I'm having a blast with this and telling everyone that's in my family chat
group on the Net about it! I'm standing... I'm applauding you guys at Legacy!!!
Fifty bucks??? Don't ever change! ;-)
- I have been extremely pleased with this program, and I have been around the block, so to
say, with several well known programs (FTM, Reunion, Family Treasures, PAF, and a few
others). I am still discovering neat new features. It is a pleasure to work with.
- Downloaded it, installed it, imported a gedcom, imported another gedcom, displayed both
on the screen side by side, clicked and dragged from one to the other, moved quickly to
the telephone and purchased this superior program. So far I love it and recommend
- Great intuitive program! And the improvements and constant upgrades are also great!
Janz I. Mynderup
- While Legacy still has some refining to do, they are exceptional in their response.
A feature that I had suggested to FTM and was brushed off on was implemented by
Legacy in a matter of weeks before I even registered my demo copy.
- Legacy is absolutely a top-notch program, far surpassing Family Tree Maker, PAF and many
others. Its' ease of use is unsurpassed by any program.
- Just installed the 20 Feb update. Fantastic! You are making my life a lot easier.
I have been using Legacy now for a couple of weeks as my main (and soon to be only)
genealogy program and am finding it to be just what the Dr. ordered. I really like
the Source Clipboard and use it extensively. Had the opportunity to use the Focus
Group feature the other day to send some distant relative information. Worked like a
champ. In my other program I would still be editing.
- There are quite a few good programs out there, but a new one came out during the last
year that is blowing all the others away. The program is Legacy and you can get a demo
copy at www.LegacyFamilyTree.com. One of
the most accurate comments I've heard is "It has an excellent User Manual, but is
completely unnecessary since the program is so intuitive". It was not developed by
marketers but by a couple of professional database programmers that also
happen to be genealogists.
Just thought I would let you know that I took some Legacy printouts to church today and to
make a wild story short, you should be getting several more orders from this neck of the
Thanks again for a great program! If I'm not careful I could get excited again about doing
- Today, I installed Legacy & imported my PAF files. I was particularly impressed with
the tech support, which I needed because of my computer illiteracy. If this near 70-yr.
old grandma can easily learn a new and better way to record family history, so can others.
I like the many new features of Legacy and being able to import my extensive PAF files
without a Gedcom.
Mary Ann Jones
- This is the greatest genealogical program I have ever used and that includes Family Tree
Maker, The Ultimate Family tree and The Master Genealogist. None of these programs or
services comes close to the flexibility, ease of use and completeness of Legacy
John Lewis Laughlin
- I was pleasantly surprised to receive the Legacy handbook recently. I had not expected
to receive such an excellent manual. Thank you. I also appreciate the mailing of the
recent version update and have just found the update section on your site. Superb!! I am
VERY pleased with my purchase.
- I just ordered Legacy about 3 hours ago and already have been able to add 185 names
to it. Have never been able to input this many in the same amount of time with any other
program I have had. I started with Roots3, which people say is the best, but this beats
that program running away. I keep finding more and more as I go along, you could not have
made a genealogy program easier to use.
- I have always liked Legacy, and it seems like every week your making it better. I wanted
to take the time to let you know that I appreciate everything that your putting into the
program, it is amazing the amount of work you do
Serena K. Sumerau
- After downloaded many, many copies of different family tree software, none of which were
easy to use, I found Legacy Family Tree. After completing the download process of
the demo version, I found the software so easy to use that I immediately filled the
allotted space and had to call for the registration number to continue.
- I chose Legacy over TMG to use because it's a slicker program, your upgrades are fast
and furious and your response to email requests for help are timely. That's a hard
combination to beat when hunting for software to use. :) Not to mention, Legacy was
reported to have the best data merge in the business.
- Your tech support is really incredible! So prompt and sooo
patient! I would
never have gotten this done--or done this well, without you!
- I am surprised that you even take the time to respond to someone like me let alone make
the suggested changes/additions. The array of options in Legacy is mind boggling. I
dont see how you can keep up with them yourself.
- I've been trying out the demo this week. It is awesome! It has features I didn't even
know I wanted. I have FTM and I also tried demos of Family Origins and Reunion. Legacy
left the others in the dust.
- This program has two outstandingly super features -- the duplicate find and merge and
its Gedcom abilities. These two things alone make the program well worth the price I paid
for it and I'm glad I did!
- Thanks Ken, glad I can help. I don't know if I have told you, but I think your program
is great. Geez, I wish I had this around when I started my research. I think Legacy puts
BK to shame, hands down.
- Have been using LEGACY for almost a month now, and really recommend it to anyone. I have
used other programs in the past, and have removed them since getting LEGACY.
- One of the first things I was impressed with after I bought it
I read the tutorial
part of the manual on the airplane coming home and I marveled at the clarity and
simplicity of what I was reading. Along with the many screen snapshots (which you could
actually read) I totally understood the workings of the program. And I usually have
to be in front of my computer, stepping through a program as I read a manual or tutorial.
This was a first for me!
Dorothy O Bruce
- Thank you for the reply I wasn't really expecting it *smile*. I just received a
large GEDCOM from a cousin that had several duplicates in my database (which is HUGE), I'd
never used the merge feature before but I am now in love with it... I have never had
such an easy time combining two databases. Keep up the good work, I'm glad I switched.
Legacy really is much easier to use than the other programs I've researched.
And I downloaded the newest upgrade yesterday (the day before?). I'll have to remember to
check often, as you guys seem to be constantly improving Legacy.
Serena K. Sumerau
- Legacy has the other programs (of which I now haveand have used15) beaten
hands down for versatility and ease of use. If only I could select between the use of RIN
or Ref number on the reports! ***Note: This feature was added with the 25 March 1998
John A. Shaw
- After a good deal of research, demoing, and purchasing programs, I've settled on Legacy
as my primary program.
What Makes Legacy stand head and shoulders above FTM and all others, for me, is that the
makers of Legacy regularly post FREE updates to the program on their web site. These
are not just fixes and/or maintenance updates - they actually put in many new features -
other programs release these as subsequent versions, and charge $$.
The Folks at Legacy are also terrific at responding to queries, fixing problems that you
encounter (sometimes a new update gets posted within a few days), and listening to
suggestions. Several requests I've had for the program have been integrated in the
last several months. Price-wise too, Legacy comes out ahead. Try out the demo!
- The manual is ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING. I particularly like the Focus Group concept
and also the system for tagging. Overall I would rate it a first class product.
- I second all the votes for Legacy: as a registered user, I find the support to be
the best of ANY genealogy software. They fix stuff before you know it is wrong, and
if you write them with some problem or idea, they get right to work on it. Fine
folks, and a fine piece of software that just keeps getting better.
- I suggested an update to Legacy about 10 days ago. It was put in an update on Apr.
15/98. I have never had that type of response from any other program. Half of them
do not even answer the questions you ask but act like a politician and hedge about the