Enter all the given names for the individual. This includes the first name and all middle names. Don't include nicknames or alternate names which should be entered in the Alternate name field. Given names can be up to 120 characters long.
Enter the last name or surname for the individual. When you leave the field, Legacy will apply the formatting specified in the Preferences section and capitalize the first letter or the entire word. Do not include things like Jr., Sr., etc. which should be put in the Title fields. Last names can be up to 120 characters in length.
You will often encounter given names and surnames that are spelled differently. Many times, the spellings will differ within the same source. You can record all these variations as Alternate Names by choosing the Alt button to the right the of the Given Names and Last Name fields. Alternate names can be up to 120 characters in each of the given and last name fields.
Titles, both prefix and suffix, include Jr., Sr., Rev., Major, General, King of England, etc. These fields can hold up to 50 characters.
Select the appropriate radio button. If you don't know the gender of the individual, select Unknown.
Enter the date for each event, such as birth, death, burial, etc., that you know. You can enter the dates in any format desired and Legacy will change them to the current date format set in the Preferences section. Dates can be up to 20 characters long.
Whenever you are filling in a date field, you can use the popup calendar for help by pressing the Calendar icon. Selecting a date from the calendar automatically fills in the current date field.
Locations for events should be entered in a consistent format. It is suggested that you use the format of City, County, State, Country. When entering place names in the United States, it is usually sufficient to just include the state abbreviations and leave off the country. However, if most of your information is from locations outside the United States, you might want to include "USA" for those found in the United States to make the location clear. Locations can be up to 120 characters long.
This field is for any reference number you want to record for this individual. You can use any combination of letters, numbers and punctuation marks.
Ancestral File Number
This field is for the identifying number assigned by the LDS church when the individual has been submitted to the Ancestral File. Each person is assigned a unique number. The ancestral file number can be up to 20 characters.
Ancestor and Descendant Interest
The two fields in the bottom right corner of the Information window are used to express your interest level in the ancestors and descendants of the current individual. The value can range from 0 to 3. 0 indicates no interest. Use 1 for Low interest, 2 for Medium and 3 for high interest.
These values can be used in the search section to compile lists of those people with whom you have an interest.
Facts and Events
You can add unlimited additional facts and events to an individual. These can include things like occupation, graduation, immigration, engagements, awards, ordinations, etc. Legacy comes with many pre-defined events like those previously mentioned. You can use these and also add any new events you need.
An event consists of an Event Name, Event Date, Event Place and an Event Comment. Only the Event Name is required, but it may seem meaningless without a date, place or comment.
Adding a New Event
To add a new event to an individual:
- Press the Add button to the right of the Facts and Events box to display the Add A New Event window.
- To select an event from the Master Event List, either type the name of the event in the Event field or press the down arrow to the right of the field to scroll through the list and select an event by clicking on it. (If you want to define a new event that is not already in the Master Event List, see Editing The Master Event List below.)
- In the Date field, enter the date the event occurred.
- In the Place field, enter the location where the event took place.
- In the Comments field, enter any information you want to record concerning this event.
- Press the Source button to record the source of this information if you have it.
Editing An Event
To change the name, date, location or comments of an existing event:
- Highlight the event line you want to edit in the event list.
- Press the Edit button to the right of the list to display the Edit An Event window.
- Make the desired changes and press the OK button to save them.
Editing The Master Event List
If you would like to add an event name to the Master Event List or remove an existing event from the list, press the Edit Master Event List button on the Add A New Event window.
To add a new event to the list:
- Press the Add button to the left of the event list. The Add New Event window is displayed.
- Enter the name of the new event and press ENTER or the OK button.
- Press the Close button to return to the Edit An Event window.
To remove an event from the list:
- Highlight the name of the event you want to erase.
- Click the Options button to the right of the event list and select Delete from the pop-up menu. If the event is not being used in any individual's event list, the event is removed from the list. If the event is currently being referenced, a message displays and the event is not removed. You must remove all references to a particular event before it can be removed from the Master Event List.
Removing an Event From An Individual
To remove the reference of an event from the current individual:
- On the Information window, highlight the name of the event you want to delete.
- Click the Options button to the right of the event list and select Delete Event from the pop-up menu.
Sorting the Event List
You can have Legacy automatically sort your list of events by the event name or date by pressing the Sort button to the right of the event list. When sorting, any events that don't have a name or date are moved to the top of the list.
Changing The Order Of The Events
You can change the display order of the events in the list by:
- Highlight the event line you want to move.
- Click on the up or down arrow in the lower right corner of the Facts and Events box (labeled "Set Order") in the direction you want to move the line.
Combining Event Names
If you find that you have two event names that you want to combine, (for example, if you misspell a name), this can easily be done:
- Highlight the event name you want to change.
- Press the Map Highlighted Event Name to Another Event Name in List button at the bottom of the window.
- Highlight the Event name you want to change it to.
- Press the same button again, which will now read, Highlight Destination Event Name, Then Press This Button
You should always record the source of any information you find so that you or someone else can find it again in the future. Press the Source button to bring up the Assigned Sources window where you can record this information. See Citing the Sources of Your Information, Define or Edit a Master Source or Source Detail for more information.
Using the Source Clipboard
The Source Clipboard is a feature in Legacy that can tremendously increase the efficiency with which you document the sources of the information you enter into your Family File.
From the Individual's Information window you can pop up the LDS Ordinance Information box by pressing the LDS button (if you have LDS fields turned on in the Options section). This dialog box lets you record the date and temple for baptism, endowment and sealing to parents.
Enter the date the ordinance was performed. This information can be found in the LDS International Genealogical Index (IGI) file or from personal knowledge.
Enter the name abbreviation of the temple where the ordinance was performed. You can either type the abbreviation for the temple or select it from the drop-down combo box.
Canceling All Changes
If you would like to abandon all additions and changes to the individual's information, press the Cancel button at the bottom of the window. All information will revert to the way it was when the window was last displayed.
You can add or edit the General, Research and Medical notes belonging to the individual by pressing the Note icon (picture of a notepad).
Adding Pictures and Sound
You can attach pictures and sound to an individual by pressing the Picture icon (the picture of the framed couple).
You can enter a mailing name, address, and up to two phone numbers for each individual in your Family File
- Press the Address icon (the picture of the rolodex file).
- If you are entering an address for the first time, Legacy builds a standard name and puts it in the name field. You can leave it as is or change it as desired.
- Continue filling in the address and phone number(s).
Other Address Options:
- The Delete button erases the address, removes it from the individual and then returns to the Information screen.
- The Repeat button repeats the entry made in the same field of the last address you entered during the current session. The Repeat button works on all fields except the Name field. If the current field already contains an entry that would be overwritten by the Repeat option, Legacy asks for permission before replacing it. You can also use F8 to repeat a field. Clicking on the line labels also repeats the entries. Clicking on "Address" repeats all three address lines. Clicking on any other label, repeats just that line (including the Name field label).
- The Clear button clears all the existing fields and replaces the default name in the Name field. You can then re-enter the information.
- The Cancel button closes the window without saving any entries or changes.
Legacy has a Repeat feature, commonly known as Ditto. In all the input fields on the Information screen, except the User Reference Number and Ancestral File Number, you can press the Repeat button at the bottom of the screen to repeat the same field from the last record saved. If the current field already has an entry that would be overwritten, Legacy asks permission before replacing it. Pressing F8 or Alt-R works the same way, as does clicking on the label to the left of each field, such as "Born" or "Died" or "in". This feature lets you quickly enter recurring information.
If you are in a Location field, there are three sets of keys you can use to memorize and play back the contents. For example, pressing Shift-F9 memorizes the current place name. Thereafter, pressing F9, while in a Location field, automatically enters the place name. This also applies to Shift-F11 and F11 and Shift-F12 and F12. These are very useful when entering records where everything happened in the same place. These keys are available on the Information, Event and Marriage screens.
When you have filled in the Information screen with all the available information, press the Save button to record the entries to disk and return to the previous screen.